The GED is the equivalent to a high school diploma and can be attainable to a student who has left traditional high school. A GED, the acronym for general equivalency diploma, can be used to apply to colleges and obtain employment, where a high school diploma is the minimum. Normally, only students 17 years old and older can study for their GED but a 16 year old can obtain a GED age waiver, to take the classes and the test.

Get a letter from your high school administration indicating your withdrawal from the institution. This letter must be on official letterhead and it must give a reason for the need of the GED.

Take all five GED practice tests. The five practice tests are math, science, social studies, language arts: reading and language arts: writing. You can find your local GED testing center by contacting your state’s Department of Education.

Complete the GED age waiver application. On the application, you will state your full name, your address, last school attended, date of withdrawal and the reason for age waiver. You can request a GED age waiver application from your state’s Department of Education’s office. The parent or guardian will need to sign the application as well as the 16-year-old applicant.

Attach the letter of withdrawal and your GED practice scores to the application. Submit the documents to your state’s GED office. Once you get notice of your approval, show the approval letter to the examiner prior to testing for your GED.

Related Articles

Things Needed

  • Signed copy of withdrawal from high school
  • GED practice test scores
  • GED age waiver application

About the Author

Based in New Jersey, Ashley Leonard has been writing professionally since 2007. Her articles have appeared on and various other websites. Leonard holds a Bachelor of Arts in communications from Marymount Manhattan College.