Foreign universities offer a lot in the way of learning experiences. You might learn a fascinating subject, learn another language, or learn exactly what you would learn at a school in the United States. When it comes time to transfer credits, however, you could have an easy time or a difficult time, depending on the university you went to overseas and the one you are going to now. Each school has a different acceptance policy for credits, so it will take some maneuvering on your part to make sure you get as much credit as possible.

Pay careful attention to any documents you get while studying abroad. You will need specific information about your foreign school to give to your new school.

Go to the transcript office in your foreign university before you leave the country. Make sure you get a couple copies of your transcripts. Also ask for any identifying information from the school that you can write down, such as their legal name, the exact address, and any school codes that might exist for the university.

Contact your current school from the foreign university, if you are attending a foreign school while still enrolled in a U.S. school, such as during an exchange or study abroad. Speak to the registrar's office at your home school BEFORE you leave the foreign country. They can request items directly from the foreign university or can tell you exactly what to do to make sure your credits will transfer.

Meet with the registrar in person at your U.S. university, either as soon as you return from studying abroad, or as soon as you know you are going to attend the U.S. school. Bring along all of the information you gathered from your foreign school. Speak to the registrar in person and give them copies of all of the information, including your class list, your grades or report card, and the registration information you got from the foreign registrar.


Sometimes, none of this process is really needed, because if your school has an exchange or if the foreign university is well known, the credits may transfer automatically. However, it is always best to do this process to insure all of your hard work transfers.


Be aware that transferring credits might require you to have several meetings with the registrar or even the dean of students at your school. You may also need to take tests to show what you've learned, or you may need to contact your foreign university or professors there for specific documents or proof of what you have studied.


Some U.S. schools will not accept any credits or transfer work from foreign universities or even from other U.S. universities, and in this case, you might have to try another school.

Related Articles