If you are currently attending a New York City (NYC) public school or if you are the parent or guardian of a current student, you have the right to access you or your child's NYC public school records. You may also obtain your NYC school records if you graduated from an NYC public school. Your NYC school records, such as diplomas, transcripts and report cards, are important to have in your possession. For example, you may need your NYC public school records to apply for college or a new job or to use as proof of identification when applying for a driver's license.

Step 1

Locate the NYC public school which you would like to obtain records from by using NYC's Department of Education (DOE) "School Search" function on the official DOE website. The directory will yield the phone number, address and website of the school you need.

Step 2

Call the school to find out how to go about obtaining your academic records as the procedure varies from school to school. If you are the parent of a current NYC public school student, contact the principal of the school and your request will be honored within 45 days, according to the DOE. For non-custodial parents, access to the records will only be granted after the school contacts the custodial parent and verifies that the non-custodial parent has the right to access the child's records. For former students or alumni of an NYC public school, contact the last school you went to or graduated from. Typically, the school that issued the diploma or transcript has those records on file.

Step 3

Complete the necessary forms for the requested records. Each school has its own forms, and you can find and download the appropriate form from the school website. You may have to provide personal information, such as your full name, birth date, Social Security Number, date of graduation or when you left and your current contact information.

Step 4

Pay the appropriate fee for requesting the records and make a check or money order out to the name of your school.

Step 5

Mail the completed form, fee and a self-addressed and stamped envelope to the school. Once your request is processed, you should receive your school records in the mail.

Related Articles