Under EPA code 608, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requires individuals performing maintenance, service or repair involving the possibility of controlled refrigerants being released into the atmosphere to pass a certification test prior to opening containers or systems using the substances. Four different certifications exist.

Type I certification is primarily for small appliance repair. Type II certification is for technicians working on high-pressure systems such as residential and supermarket refrigeration, and Type III certification is for low-pressure refrigerants. Universal certification means a technician has passed all three certification types. Each type of EPA certification has a different test.

Decide which EPA certification test you want to take.

Search EPA.gov for a list of EPA-approved trainers and certifiers.

Enroll in a training course designed to help pass the chosen EPA certification. Only purchase services from EPA-certified organizations.

Study any educational materials provided or suggested by the training organization. Study guides are available online--some for free. EPA.gov also supplies an overview of issues found on the test.

Schedule a certification test. The test can usually be administered by the organization who provided training for the test.

Related Articles

Things Needed

  • EPA section 608 study guide

About the Author

Brad Chacos started writing professionally in 2005, specializing in electronics and technology. His work has appeared in Salon.com, Gizmodo, "PC Gamer," "Maximum PC," CIO.com, DigitalTrends.com, "Wired," FoxNews.com, NBCNews.com and more. Chacos is a frequent contributor to "PCWorld," "Laptop Magazine" and the Intuit Small Business Blog.