The GED, or the General Equivalency Diploma, is earned by individuals who have not completed high school and are not currently enrolled. The certificate is awarded to test-takers who pass a multi-subject exam and prove their knowledge of high-school-level academic material. It is meant to take the place of a high school diploma, but some find that they prefer a traditional diploma once they have earned the GED. It is not possible to directly convert a GED certificate into a high school transcript or diploma, but steps can be taken toward earning an official record of high school completion.

Step 1

Call your local Board of Education to ask about your options. Permit the Board to access your high school academic records and help you determine whether your class credits can be supplemented with additional courses and tests in order to continue the formal education you received previously. You can also visit their website to peruse the options they offer for nontraditional education if you are eighteen or older.

Step 2

Visit the counselor at your former high school to acquire your transcripts and ask for advice about enrollment into a continuing education school. Your counselor should be able to refer you to an appropriate setting where you'll find classes to match your schedule. Come up with a fast-track plan toward finishing your secondary education while you still have access to high-school-level coursework and credits. Ask about private tutoring if necessary, and enroll in a program which will provide you with individual support and a manageable action plan.

Step 3

Sign up for an accredited online high school diploma program after you have checked its legitimacy and looked through the course requirements. Under the guidance of your former counselors and the Board of Education, enroll online in a free or low-cost continuing education program to start your journey toward an official diploma. This is often the preferable option, since you won't be required to physically attend classes.

Related Articles