During your college career, you may find it necessary to continue your education at another university in a different state.This is often the case with students who begin their higher education at a junior college, where a transfer is inevitable if they wish to earn a four-year degree. Universities within the same state will often accept your transfer credits, but out-of-state schools reserve the right to give you credit only for approved courses.

Call the admissions office of the college to which you wish to transfer and ask that a transfer information packet be mailed to your home. This will contain information about the school, including how to transfer, along with the necessary forms. Review the information packet for a list of acceptable transfer credits.

Evaluate the age of your credits. Even if the college or university accepts the particular type of credit you wish to transfer, it may stipulate that only credits earned within a certain time period will be accepted. Credits that you earned more than 10 years ago are not likely to be transferable.

Request a sealed copy of your transcript from your home institution. Request an open copy for yourself.

Review your transcript and determine the courses you want to transfer. Such basic courses as English 101 or a freshman-level math course are typically easier to transfer between states and more widely accepted than elective courses. Your grade in each course, however, often must be above a C to be considered for a transfer credit.

Call the registrar’s office at the school you plan to attend to ask any questions you have about your credits and which ones will transfer. Schools have differing transfer policies regarding out-of-state credits.

Fill out the transfer paperwork included in your transfer information packet. Include the copy of your sealed transcript and return the transfer application to the school to which you are transferring.


If you plan to take courses at an out-of-state school on a temporary basis and then have the credits transferred back to your home institution, check to ensure that the transfer will be permitted before signing up for the courses.

Related Articles