Your parent must have the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill for you to be able to use it. This is the only one that has the transferability option. Your parent must meet service requirements and make the transfer to you while still in the armed forces. Once you are eligible, the G.I. Bill will pay for expenses such as your full tuition and fees, a monthly housing allowance and an annual book allowance.

Verify that the college or training program you are interested in is approved under the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill. Most public colleges and universities are approved, but be certain by asking the school or checking with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Undergraduate, graduate, vocational, on-the-job training, flight training, national testing programs and tutoring are included in the programs that may be covered.

Apply to and register at the school or program you wish to attend. Submit any paperwork that is required and complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. You may qualify for additional financial aid on top of your parent's G.I. Bill.

Apply to use your transferred benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs using Form 22-1990e.This form is used once the benefits have been transferred to you. Ask your school if it requires any additional forms or paperwork in conjunction with your parent's G.I. Bill.

Ask your school whether you qualify for a veteran deferment. This is a temporary extension of the payment deadline to allow your veteran benefits to process.

Provide your school or program with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility that you eventually will receive from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Related Articles