When immigrants enter the United States, they may find that the educational credentials they earned in their home countries are not valid, according to the American Council on Education. Refugees may not have proof that they earned their educational certificates because they were not able to take them when they fled their homes. And some immigrants arrive in the United States with limited educational backgrounds. Obtaining a GED (general equivalency diploma) is necessary to help them obtain better jobs or enter college.

Locate an local adult education center. The adult education center is designed to help adults learn English and study for the GED. Teachers and staff at these centers understand the time commitments of jobs and parenting that adult immigrants face, and the educational programs are tailored to help them succeed.

If English is not your first language, it will be necessary to attend English as a Second Language classes before enrolling in GED classes at the adult education center.

Related Articles

Check out books and study materials from the library in preparation for the GED to study on your own or supplement your classroom studies. There are online resources (see below) that have sample GED questions as well.

Attend classes regularly and ask questions. Teachers are there to help, and there are often volunteer tutors available at adult education centers who can help immigrant students succeed in earning their GEDs.

Register for the GED test. Information on registering for the test is available at the American Council of Education's GED website, or you can call your local adult education center for more information. The GED test cannot be taken on the Internet, as some online sites will lead students to believe. Students must take the test at a designated place and time as determined by the GED program.

Things Needed

  • Adult education center

About the Author

Leyla Norman has been a writer since 2008 and is a certified English as a second language teacher. She also has a master's degree in development studies and a Bachelor of Arts in anthropology.