Children of disabled veterans may take advantage of state and federal financial aid earmarked specifically for children of disabled, missing in action or deceased veterans. In addition, service members who are awarded the Post-9/11 GI Bill may transfer their unused college benefits to dependents or spouses.

Federal Benefits

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers an educational benefits package to children of veterans who are "permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-related disability," according to their website. The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA) offers up to 45 months of educational assistance to qualifying dependents, defined as the sons or daughters of a permanently disabled veteran or one who is "hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and total disability" which will likely result in discharge. Qualifying recipients must also be between the ages of 18 and 26.

State Aid

Some state governments provide aid for students who are children of disabled veterans. These state-run programs may cover up to the full-cost of tuition. For example, the California Department of Veteran Affairs offers a full-tuition scholarship and fees waiver to the dependents of a disabled veteran. To qualify, students must attend a California Community College, University of California or California State University school and must be a California resident. Students in other states should check their state government's website to see if they might qualify for a similar program.

California Department of Veterans Affairs Division of Veterans Services 1227 O Street, Suite 105 Sacramento, CA 95814 916-503-8397

Post-9/11 G.I. Bill

Disabled veterans who served in the armed forces after Sept. 11, 2001, are eligible for a provision in the Post-9/11 GI Bill called Transfer of Benefits (TEB). Under this program, service members may transfer their educational benefits to a spouse or one or more of their dependents. Service members do not need to be disabled to take advantage of TEB: however, there are strict eligibility requirements for length of service. Dependents will receive all of the service member's unused education benefits, including money for tuition and fees, a housing allowance and books/living allowance. The child must be between the ages of 18 and 26.

Related Articles