Most colleges allow students to return after an absence without an extensive admissions process, although some documentation, such as an "intent to return" application, is typically required. The process can be more complicated if a student left when he was not in "good academic standing," and not all credits earned at other colleges attended in the interim may transfer back to the home college. Procedures and policies vary from college to college, so contact the Office of Admissions of your college to find out the specific requirements.

Contact the Office of Admissions of your college to learn the policies and procedures for readmittance. Try the college's website first, under "Admissions."

Complete the necessary paperwork, such as an "Intent to Return" or "Application for Readmittance" form. You can usually find the forms on the website too.

Confirm state residency and eligibility for federal and state financial aid. Academic and merit scholarships might not be applicable for readmission candidates, although you still might qualify for state aid if your absence from the home college was not prolonged.

Pay all fees associated with the application for readmittance.

Request official transcripts from colleges you attended in the interim. These transcripts are usually sent directly to the Office of Admissions.


Credits earned at other colleges may not transfer seamlessly to the home college, particularly in some time-sensitive fields like computer science. Courses completed years ago may not be considered relevant in light of contemporary technology.

Related Articles