Whether you've tried the communications industry after graduating with a bachelor's degree in the field or changed your mind shortly after graduation and prefer to teach rather than promote businesses or work in public relations, securing a position as a teacher may require some extra work. Public schools are run by a given locality and state, which usually requires a minimum of a bachelor's degree in education. Communication graduates need not lose hope; teaching options are available at adult schools and college experience may actually help attain a teaching position at one of these facilities.

Elementary through High School

Visit your state's department of education website, which sets standards for teaching positions in elementary, middle and high schools, and click on the link for "Employment" or "Jobs." For example, in North Carolina the link is titled "Search for Vacant Positions."

Review the requirements and time commitment for going back to school to get a bachelor's degree in education; some of your general education courses may be given transfer credit, reducing the number of classes you'll have to complete.

Contact a local college to determine the exact coursework required for the program. For example, at North Carolina State University (NCSU), students in the bachelor of science of elementary education program are required to go full time during their freshman and sophomore years and are then placed into smaller classes for the morning and early afternoon, plus they spend time as student teachers.

Check master's level education requirements if you are interested in earning more money as a teacher or working in administration, or if you want to get a teaching position at a college or university. At NCSU, students who are interested in enrolling in the masters of education must have a bachelor's degree in teaching; students who enroll in the master of arts in teaching program require a bachelor's degree in a field other than teaching; your degree in communication would be applicable here.

Adult Education or Technical Schools

Search local city, county or state websites for lists of technical schools and community facilities, then review their job postings for teacher requirements and applications. These schools often require a minimum of a bachelor's degree, but do not have the education major or teacher certification requirement.

Look for positions at schools teaching communications, marketing, advertising or public relations to adults.

Review bulletins put out by the schools, usually every semester or quarter, and check the type of classes taught at the facilities. Come up with your own courses and make an outline of a potential syllabus and reading list, then contact the registrar or school planning committee and ask to set up a meeting to propose a class.

Check Lamba Pi Eta, the national communication honor society, for job postings. If you joined in college, you may have special access to employment areas on the organization's website. Consider joining other communication industry groups such as the National Communication Association; industry groups often offer continuing education, seminars and conventions where you can get teaching experience by creating and providing topical sessions for attendees.

Related Articles