Teaching in a college generally requires at least a master's degree in a specialty, although in some cases, colleges accept teachers with bachelor's degrees, particularly if the teaching candidate can demonstrate expertise and considerable experience in the field in which she wants to teach. Students in graduate programs who are working toward a graduate degree can teach at the college level under the supervision of a faculty mentor. Most of the classes that master's or doctorate candidates can teach are introductory courses.

As an Instructor

Become an expert in the field in which you work. Some departments within colleges and community colleges accept instructors who have bachelor's degrees if they have deep experience in a particular field.

Contact the school or department at which you would like to teach and find out what the opportunities are for you in your area of expertise.

Put your credentials into an effective resume and list any awards, accomplishments, and training that distinguish you in the field in which you have a specialization.

Fill out the necessary forms for the position and submit them with your resume, cover letter, and letters of reference.

As a Graduate Student

Contact the graduate program at the college or university you plan to attend. Ask them for a list of teaching assistant jobs in the department. Most colleges require that graduate student teaching assistants take a minimum number of credit hours during each semester or quarter to qualify.

Complete the forms the college requires to apply for the teaching assistant posts for which you are qualified. The hiring entity will contact you for interviews and notify you if you receive the appointment as a teaching assistant.

Read the terms and conditions of your appointment carefully if you are selected as a teaching assistant. Almost all teaching assistants have mandatory orientation meetings. Getting appointed as a teaching assistant is typically for one term only, so it is important to know when to apply for the next semester or quarter in order to keep the teaching assistant position.

Related Articles