Students who fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid may qualify for federal grants, loans and work-study programs to help pay for college. Most college-age males -- U.S. citizens between the ages of 18 and 25 -- must register for the Selective Service to qualify for federal funds. In a time of military draft, names would be pulled from the Selective Service register for potential enrollment in the military.

Who Must Register for the Selective Service

U.S. male citizens and immigrants aged 18 to 25 must register for the Selective Service. Exemptions for these groups apply only for those who are hospitalized or imprisoned, have already joined a military branch for full-time service or who were born female but have undergone a sex change. Non-citizen males between these ages -- whether documented or not -- also must register, unless they are in the country on a student or visitor visa or on a diplomatic or trade mission. Those who must apply include disabled persons who can function in public with or without assistance, those with dual citizenship, conscientious objectors, refugees and National Guard members not on full-time duty. Men of these ages in the U.S. territories of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands and Northern Mariana Islands also must register. People from other territories such as American Samoa, Marshall Islands, Palau and Micronesia likely need to register if they stay in the U.S. for one year for a purpose other than as a student.

Related Articles