Scores of universities throughout the United States have opened their doors only to close months to years later. Often the reasons have been financial -- due to poor financial handling, or a lack of attendance and subsequent reduction in tuition monies. In other situations, universities have dropped their identities and merged with other institutions.

Northeastern United States

In the Northeast, institutions that have closed their doors include Bliss College in Lewistown, Maine; French American University in Springfield, Massachusetts; Middlesex University in Waltham, Massachusetts; Gunstock College in Gunstock, New Hampshire; Franconia College in Franconia, New Hampshire; Windham College in Putney, Vermont; and Lewis College in Northfield, Vermont.

Midwestern United States

Universities that have closed in the U.S. Midwest include Alexander College in Dubuque, Iowa; Ansgar College in Galesburg, Illinois; American Medical College in Indianapolis, Indiana; Central College of Physicians and Surgeons in Indianapolis, Indiana; Campbell Normal University in Holton, Kansas; Arkansas Valley Collegiate Institute in Kansas; American School of Osteopathy in Kirksville, Missouri; and Belin Memorial University in Chillicothe, Missouri.

Southern United States

In the southern states, Alabama Baptist Colored University of Selma, Alabama; Atlanta University in Atlanta, Georgia; Baptist University of America in Decatur, Alabama; Mount Lebanon University in Lebanon, Louisiana; and Confederate College in Charleston, South Carolina are a handful of many that have closed their doors.

Western United States

In the West, institutions have closed from Washington to New Mexico, including: Arizona Bible College of Biola College in Phoenix, Arizona; British-American University in Santa Ana, California; Intermountain Union College in Helena, Montana; Tacoma Catholic College in Tacoma, Washington; New Mexico College of Agricultural & Mechanical Arts in Lac Cruces, New Mexico; and University of Albuquerque in Albuquerque, New Mexico.


Many students wonder what happens to their college transcripts if their institution is closed or merges with another college or university. According to the United States Department of Education, alumni should contact their respective state licensing agency to obtain transcripts. Prior to releasing school transcripts, state licensing agencies require a written request -- including the student's Social Security number, dates of attendance, course of study and date of birth -- and a processing fee, which varies by agency.

Related Articles