Many colleges that offer mechanical engineering degrees feature programs that lead toward an undergraduate or graduate degree in acoustical engineering. Acoustical engineering traditionally involves such subjects as vibration studies, structure-borne noise management and equipment noise reduction. Students studying for acoustical engineering degrees will have to complete certain coursework designed by the institution offering the degree.


The Cockrell School of Engineering at the University of Texas (UT) in Austin, Texas, features acoustic engineering programs. The Applied Research Laboratories at UT specialize in underwater acoustic studies. The University of Hartford's College of Engineering Technology and Architecture in West Hartford, Connecticut, offers acoustical engineering programs. Students enrolled in these programs also must take certain coursework through the university's Hartt School of Music and Theater. Pennsylvania State University's College of Engineering has been offering graduate-level coursework in acoustics since 1965. The Penn State Applied Research Laboratory participates in extensive research in acoustics.

Degree Options

Undergraduate students at the University of Hartford can pursue a bachelor of science degree in engineering that focuses on acoustical engineering and music. Graduate students at University of Texas can study for the university's master of science degree in mechanical engineering with a concentration on acoustics. A master of engineering degree is offered at the University of Hartford. Graduate students can pursue this master's degree with a concentration on acoustics. At Pennsylvania State University's College of Engineering in University Park, Pennsylvania, graduate students can study for the master of engineering degree in acoustics or the master of science degree in acoustics.


Undergraduate degree programs in acoustical engineering are typically four-year programs. Acoustic engineering undergraduates may have to take courses related to sound technology, sound reinforcement design, vibrations and engineering acoustics. Graduate degree programs usually involve between 1 and 2 years of study. To be accepted into a graduate-level degree program in acoustical engineering, the prospective student will traditionally have to have a bachelor's degree in a field like mechanical engineering. Graduate-level acoustic engineering coursework may include classes on subjects like acoustics and aerodynamics, electromechanical transducers and nonlinear acoustics.


Accreditations are given to institutions whose degree programs adhere to guidelines outlined by ABET. The Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) is an agency that is responsible for designing standards for engineering degree programs in America. Most institutions, like the University of Hartford, feature acoustical engineering degree programs that are accredited by ABET.

Related Articles