The FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid, assists students in applying for government aid to help pay their college tuition. If you know someone who has provided false information on their FAFSA student aid application, contact the Office of Inspector General to notify an official of any fraud.

Write an email to the Office of Inspector General at "" Include any information pertaining to the misuse of funds, and provide your contact information so that someone from the office can speak with you in case of a need for further information.

Call the Office of Inspector general directly at 1-800-MIS-USED to report fraudulent use of educational funding. Speak with a representative and give him the information that you have on the person committing fraud.

Fill out the online complaint form on the OIG website. Fill out each field with the appropriate information, including your name, address, the alleged violator, as well as details pertaining to the complaint. Click the "Submit Form" button when you have completed the form.

Download and print out the hard copy version of the complaint form, then mail it to the Office of Inspector General. A link to the hard copy complaint form is available on the Office of Inspector General website. Your personal information contained on the complaint form will be kept confidential. Address your letter to:

Inspector General's Hotline Office of Inspector General U.S. Department of Education 400 Maryland Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20202-1500

Related Articles