Life happens. Whether there is a death in the family, prolonged illness, job loss or family emergency, some students find themselves needing cash fast. Fortunately, there are many forms of assistance available to students in need.

On Campus

Visit the financial aid office to document the situation. Though it may be embarrassing to make public a personal emergency, it is mandatory to be considered for financial aid. Some colleges require having filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid form (FASFA) and a minimum GPA standard. Emergency funds usually amount to less than $1,000.

Students should check with organizations or clubs on campus, as well, as some may provide assistance for members.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

These grants are for students who are in exceptional financial need. Students who meet eligibility requirements will receive $100 to $4,000 a year depending on when they apply.

Federal Perkins Loan

This loan is a low-interest loan (5 percent) for college students in dire financial situations. Students can borrow up to $5,500 per year for undergraduate studies and $8,000 for graduate studies.

Related Articles