Though most daycare grants are actually received by universities and colleges directly to expand their child care services and availability, increasingly college students who are parents can find individual grants to help them with the cost of daycare while they attend school. There are some universities in the United States that offer daycare-specific grants, as well as a few states that offer these types of grants to students attending almost any university within the state boundaries. Almost all of the grants consider the financial situation of the students, as well as their academic progress and performance.

Oregon State Grants

Within the state of Oregon, parents who attend Oregon community colleges, private or public universities can qualify for a child care grant from the state. There are "some for-profit post-secondary institutions which have campuses in Oregon but are owned by corporations based outside of Oregon" that are not eligible for this grant. However, if you are enrolled at least half time in an eligible university and are completing at least 36 quarter hours (or 24 semester hours) per year, you can be eligible for this grant every year for up to six years. There are a few other prerequisites for eligibility, such as being an Oregon resident and having a child or legal dependent age 12 or under that is in need of daycare.

Oregon Student Assistance Commission 1500 Valley River Drive, Suite 100 Eugene, OR 97401 (800) 452-8807

Minnesota State Grants

Minnesota is another state that has a far-reaching child care grant for student parents. The grant can be used by students attending almost any post-secondary institution in the state. "The maximum full-time Post-Secondary Child Care Grant Award for a full-time student (15 credits per term) is $2,600 per child per academic year," though this maximum may be increased by up to 10 percent if the child is an infant because of higher costs for infant daycare. One of the limitations to this grant is if the student is already receiving Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) benefits, in which case they are not eligible for the child care grant. Each college has their own deadline for applying for this grant, so the financial aid adviser should be contacted for specifics on applying.

Student Financial Services 120 Wigley Administration Center Minnesota State University Mankato, MN 56001 (800) 627-3529

Other Postsecondary Institutions Offering Child Care Grants

Michigan State University offers child care grants to its student parents. The information on applying can be obtained from:

Office of Financial Aid 252 Student Services Building E. Lansing, MI 48824-1113 (517) 353-5940

South Seattle Community College offers a one-time, emergency child care grant for student parents who are temporarily unable to pay for daycare.

South Seattle Community College 6000 16 Avenue SW Seattle, WA 98106-1499
(206) 764-5384

Sandhills Community College in North Carolina offers child care grants as well, and anyone interested in receiving one must first apply with the Department of Social Services in the county in which they reside, and then they can bring the proof of application from the county to apply with the school for the grant.

Sandhills Community College 3395 Airport Road Pinehurst, NC 28374 (800) 338-3944

Related Articles