Finding money for college is tough, but if you’re a child of a disabled veteran, there are several funding options for you. The US Department of Veterans Affairs, as well as many independent organizations and nonprofits, offer various types of scholarships for veterans and dependents of veterans. Some scholarships for military dependents prioritize children of disabled veterans, while others will fund dependents of any veterans, disabled or not.

Scholarships for Veterans

The Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program: The US Department of Veteran Affairs has the Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program, which offers assistance to dependents of permanently disabled veterans. The program funds up to 36 months of education, and you must be between 18 and 26 years of age to be eligible for it.

Paralyzed Veterans of America: Paralyzed Veterans of America (Paralyzed Veterans) offers financial assistance to paralyzed veterans or their dependents and will award $1,000 to qualified students who are enrolled in a college or university either part-time or full-time.

Scholarships for Military Dependents

Freedom Alliance: The Freedom Alliance provides financial assistance to children of troops who died or lost a limb in the line of duty. So far, it has awarded more than $13 million in scholarships. Your application package must contain an essay or statement entitled “What does your parent’s service mean to you?”

Military Order of the Purple Heart: Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH) awards about 80 scholarships a year to spouses, children and grandchildren of veterans who were wounded in action. The scholarships are given on the basis of academic excellence and other achievements. The amount varies each year but is typically about $2,500 per recipient.

Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation: Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation has awarded more than 35,000 scholarships in total value over $100,000,000 million since 1962. It offers two types of scholarships for military children. Undergraduate or associate degree scholarships are given to those pursuing an associate's or bachelor’s degree, while career and technical education scholarships are given to those who are would like to pursue a non-degree certificate program that is less than 12 months. To be eligible, applicants must maintain a GPA of at least 2.0 out of 4.0 and have the family gross income no more than $98,000.

School Grants for Children of Veterans

Folds of Honour: Folds of Honour provides school grants for children of veterans who died or were disabled during service. These scholarships can be up to 5,000, are based on “unmet need” and can be used to fund costs of tuition and other educational expenses.

Related Articles