The Doctor of Ministry, or D.Min., is an advanced degree in ministerial leadership designed to deepen ministerial knowledge and skills leading to increased professional, intellectual and spiritual integrity. Schools offering the D.Min. are usually accredited by one of two accrediting bodies. The Association of Theological Schools (ATS) accredits schools from a wide range of theological positions, such as orthodox, reformed, mainline and evangelical positions. The Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS) accredits schools of more fundamental, conservative positions. Many of these schools also require a M.Div. or the equivalent, frequently with ministerial experience.
ATS Northeastern Schools
Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, nondenominational, South Hamilton, Massachusetts, offers the D.Min. with specialized tracks, such as Bible Translation, Church Planting and Multiplication, Urban Ministry or Transforming Congregations. The Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary, Pittsburgh, offers a D.Min. that provides advanced training for those who minister and pastor. It is intended to renew the student's ministry, integrate theological convictions with societal issues and enhance biblical ministry skills.
ATS Southern Schools
The Pentecostal Theological Seminary, Church of God, of Cleveland, Tennessee, offers an D.Min. in a cohort Spirit-filled ministry program where the students remain in their local setting, spending two weeks each year on campus. Virginia Theological Seminary, Episcopal Church, Alexandria, Virginia, offers an ecumenical D.Min. program with concentrations in ministry development, educational leadership or Christian spirituality.
ATS Midwestern Schools
Concordia Seminary, Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod, St. Louis, offers the D.Min. with concentrations like general pastoral ministry, homiletics or military chaplaincy. Saint Mary Seminary and Graduate School of Theology, Roman Catholic, Wickliffe, Ohio, offers a D.Min. with the opportunity to focus on a specific area of ministry, but also linked to outcomes, such as Christian discipleship, theological thinking or collaboration.
ATS Western Schools
Azusa Pacific University, nondenominational, of Azusa, California, offers the D.Min. that requires the student to build upon ministerial competence developed in their M.Div. The program builds skills in a specialized ministry related to the student's personal interest through research and writing. Western Seminary, Conservative Baptist Association of America, Portland, Oregon, offers the D.Min. for pastors who need skills to exert a gospel-centered approach in a world with increasing migration and urbanization.
TRACS Accredited Schools
Faith Theological Seminary, Baltimore, offers a D.Min. program to train and equip those actively involved in vocational ministry, developing expertise in biblical rationale and the ministry. Bob Jones University, a biblically faithful university, Greenville, South Carolina, offers the D.Min. for students in full-time pastoral or missionary ministry. The program attempts to sharpen practical ministerial skills and interpret Scripture. Central Seminary, fundamental Baptist, of North Plymouth, Minnesota, offers the D.Min. without requiring the student to abandon active ministry. It aims to sharpen competencies in biblical and theological knowledge and ministry. Southern California Seminary, of Shadow Mountain Community Church, El Cajon, offers the D.Min. with concentrations in expository preaching and leadership. It emphasizes areas such as dispensational theology and leadership from an old-fashioned approach to Christian leadership.
- The Association of Theological Schools: The Commission on Accrediting, Education and Degree Program Standards.
- The Association of Theological Schools: The Commission on Accrediting, Member Schools.
- Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools.
- Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary: Doctor of Ministry, Tracks.
- Pentecostal Theological Seminary: Academics, Degree Programs, Doctor of Ministry.
- Virginia Theological Seminary: Doctor of Ministry.
- Concordia Seminary: Doctor of Ministry.
- Saint Mary Seminary and Graduate School of Theology: Other Degree Programs, Doctor of Ministry.
- Azusa Pacific University: Academics, Doctor of Ministry.
- Western Seminary: Admissions, Degrees and Programs, Doctor of Ministry.
- Faith Theological Seminary: Academics, Degrees Programs and Certificate, Doctor of Ministry.
- Bob Jones University: Academics, Graduate Programs, Doctor of Ministry.
- Central Seminary: Future Students, Programs, Doctor of Ministry.
- Southern California Seminary: Academics, Degrees, Graduate Biblical Studies, Doctor of Ministry.
John Huddle is an Army veteran with enlisted service as general hospital staff and hospital chaplain's assistant. His career also included stints as a teacher, adjunct faculty, administrator and school psychologist. Twice, Dr. Huddle was a major party nominee for state office. He also served as a director on several nonprofit boards. Today he enjoys consulting and lobbying for underdog causes.