The General Educational Development Test measures a person's high-school level knowledge in five areas: math, science, social studies, reading and writing. Colleges generally require applicants who have not graduated from high school to submit their GET transcripts as part of the application process. "About 95 percent of U.S. colleges and universities accept GED graduates in the same manner as high school graduates," according to the American Council on Education.

Find the address or phone number of the GED Testing Center where you took the exam. The American Council on Education website offers a list of testing centers. If you took the test while in the military, Jobs Corps or a correctional institute, you may make your request directly through ACE's website.

Call the testing center or print out a copy of the GED Transcript Request Form (see the link in the Resources section) and mail it to the center. If you took the test while in the military, overseas or in a correctional institute, fill out the request form online or print it out and mail it to GED Testing Service, One Dupont Circle, Suite 250, Washington, DC 20036-1193. If you took the GED while in the Jobs Corps, make your request must be made through the GED Administrator in the state where you took the test.

Pay the fee for each GED transcript ($14 as of November 2010) by money order or credit card.


Do not send in the official score sheet you receive after taking the test. To ensure the scores haven't been tampered with, colleges will accept scores only from the GED Testing Service.

Related Articles